Christmas Celebration 2011

Christmas Celebration 2011
First time I was introduced to the subculture of the International Institute of R.I.

Friday, October 18, 2013

Questioning my Field Notes

After making many calls, and making a wishful visit to the International Institute of RI  (IIRI) I was finally able to get my first field notes, and a feel of the place.
My first visit to my field site as a field worker, was interesting. Despite the fact that there was no one other than a few staff members , and some people coming in and out,  I had a good insight of the place.
I went to the IIRI around 3:30, and started taking notes at 3:54, after I was done talking with Mrs. Raman the education and training director of the IIRI. I decided to sit in a desk in the far end of the student lounge which is an open area. Today the student lounge was filled with lots of blue chairs like there has been an event. I soon realized that because the place was empty I shouldn't be sitting to take my field notes, but I also could not wander around. So I walked about the room and concentrated on the things hanging on the walls. As I found out according to one of the flyers on the walls, the ESL classes had already meet at 9 am -12 pm. That was the reason the IIRI was mostly empty. When I made a closer examination of the pictures accompanied by a paper on the side, I realized this were the stories off the people in the picture. The stories were inspirational, life experiences immigrants has to go trough. I didn't read them all, but the ones I did , talk about the life changing experience of moving to the USA , their adaptation to this country , and how much they love providence RI. I also found two puzzle shaped paintings. They had different faces painted different colors and the border of one said "love" , the other one said "one", but it was repeated in different language. This paintings probably represent the diversity of the IIRI. The painting with the white old man holding the dark child was my least favorite. I think its because it denotes that only Americans help the immigrants and refugees. Maybe I'm misjudging , but I just don't like it.  I will have to ask the meaning of the painting , maybe that will help change my feelings towards it .                  




What surprised me ?
I was surprised when I found the picture of the education and training director , Mrs. Rahman on the wall, with her story as an immigrant. She had started at the IIRI in 1980 as a teacher, and 33 years later she is the education and training director. She demonstrates passion for helping others and a unique love towards the IIRI , she refer to it as a "home away from home, and a place where people where exceptionally kind to immigrants."  What I find interesting is that in my proposal I had changed my decision of interviewing one of the lawyers to interviewing Mrs. Rahman, because as the educational director she would have more information. One of my possible question to her was to ask her what had inspired her to help immigrants and refugees, but her story in the wall basically answered it.
What intrigued me?
I didn't get the chance to see many of the staff at the IIRI , probably because its Friday, but I have the feeling most of them were not born in the USA, like Mrs. Rahman. I wonder if I'm right , and if this is true, why ? Is it because only people who go trough similar situation can understand what the immigrants and refugees go trough and therefore they want to help? Or is just coincidence?
What disturbed me ?
The wall color disturbed me. Why did they have to paint everything cream , and combine it with a dark blue floor, and blue chairs. The tables where also cream.The IIRI without the people and with that wall color, it's just depressing. The lightning doesn't help either. As a non profit organization  I believe that any way to save money is good. Still, some color wouldn't kill anyone. The IIRI  is like every educational building I know in providence colorless and dim , but brought alive by the people in it.

1 comment:

  1. Silvia: I love this analysis and feel as though you've stumbled onto a good theme here vis a vis the Director and her history as a student at the Institute and as an immigrant to RI. The question you pose is a vital one, a question that might persist though your study: Are immigrants the best teachers and advocates for other immigrants. This smashes a misconception that I had, which says that of course an immigrant would want a native-born person to guide them in language, culture, and transition. But, by reading your blog and your own story of immigrating to the US, I now see how it could be a huge relief and asset to have other immigrants as your guides. This also explains how people tend to congregate (live, work, play) in cultural groups, especially within large cities. Indeed, in Providence, there are lots of Nigerians, but there is a specific part of the city where you can find a high concentration of Nigerian people and grocery stores. The same goes for most cultural groups. Want Portuguese food? Go to East prov or Bristol/Warren. And so forth. So, you must ask, what is the significance of this finding or observation of yours?

    I also love that, despite the fact that you missed the class in the morning (be sure to go next time!), you were able to capture the individual stories of clients through the displays on the walls. I think this was probably a deliberate act on the part of the Institute...story is our most powerful medium, and by reading others' stories, you are sure not to feel alone or isolated in your experience. I wonder if part of your secondary source research can be on the power of narratives/stories in relaying the immigrant experience. I also DESPERATELY want you to read a book, a book with no words, only beautiful pictures. It's called The Arrival by Shaun Tan. A good source for your project, even though its really a fancy comic book! Thank you for your tenacity, Silvia, and your good fieldwork. Keep going!See you soon!

    ReplyDelete